Tuesday, June 22, 2010

baseball





Well this year we decided Jacob needed to do baseball. He didn't want to, but he also had never played before. We felt like if he tried it he could have fun. Shortly after signing him up the city called and said they were short a coach. I explained that we had never coached etc. Dane didn't even play baseball as a child. My qualifications were I played softball about 20 years ago. After hanging up the phone I got this funny impression to just say yes. Then I smiled as I remembered watching the Jim Carey movie "yes man". A movie about how Jim's life changes for the better when he starts saying "yes" to opportunities that come him way. Then I thought about how hectic our lives would be for the summer combined with our other activities. I approached Dane with the possibility and he said "I hope you told them no". I just said we need to call them back. I explained to Dane my funny thought about just doing it. After processing for awhile he called the city back and said yes.
Before we knew if our lives were committed to 13 boys 3xs a week. At first with the parents we were trying to act like we were old pros. We couldn't keep that up for too long. So then we started begging for the help of the parents. That has worked out the best getting everyone involved. It has been a fun experience and we learned a lot. Dane's even talking about doing it next year.
We are just entering a new stage of life where are kids are getting a little older and with 3 boys are going to be involved in it all so they can have every opportunity possible. I'm glad there are only three games left. But It was a lot of fun to see all the boys improve and have fun.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow!! Love these pictures. Especially the one with you in the background keeping order with the boys. Missed our Tuesday phone call today! Maybe we can catch up tomorrow.

Monty and Kristin said...

Hey, at least if you do it next year you have a more polished resume!:) That's such a great story. You amaze me. I have yet to put any of my boys into sports. I just know once I start the next...or should I say...the REST of my life will take place on a field. I'm not as wonderful of a parents as you guys! You ROCK!! How fun! I guess that explains why you haven't blogged in a while!:)