This year was exciting for us because we cut our own tree down up in the mountains. Dane stood in line for 2 hours to obtain a permit to do so. It was worth it though because the permit was only $5. So we set out for a fun family activity. Sorry no pictures my hands are so full these days. After a short drive up the road we started looking for the perfect tree. It is hard to choose when there are 1000's to choose from. After driving around for awhile we decide to get out and walk around to choose the perfect tree. I zipped little Clayton up in my coat and bundled up the children and we headed out. Unfortunately it was so muddy! It wasn't cold enough for the mud to be frozen. And it had snowed/rained a day before. Our boots were getting so heavy, but there was no turning back. We had to find a tree! Luke started falling down and was unable to get up by himself because he was so bundled. He was totally covered in mud. Then I realized even if we did find a tree we would have to drag it through all this mud. So we headed back to the truck to go with the original plan. (Find one on the side of the road). So after nursing and changing and getting everyone clean enough to get back in the truck we started again. Finally Dane just pulled over and said stay here I'm not coming back until I have a tree. We were going on 2 hours of driving around. Getting ridiculous. So sure enough I hear the chain saw going, and going, and going. I was wondering what was taking soo long. Dane decided to cut down a 40 foot tree and use the top as our tree. It just looked too perfect way up there. Once he cut it he realized it wasn't so perfect it was very bare and strange! But it was too late. We were committed. The kids were as excited as could be and that is what matters right? The tree ended up being all muddy anyway so Dane style took the tree to the car wash before bringing it home. lol. We brought the tree in and put it up and just felt a little disturbed by the lack of branches. I have to say I was quite impressed when Dane pulled the drill, and pocket knife out and started grafting branches into our humble tree. It worked beautifully and now our little tree is a bit strange but we all love it because of the experience we had together obtaining our tree top. Our lives would be so dull without Dane's crazy ideas and ingenious skills. He makes me smile!!!
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Christmas Tree and one crazy hubby.
This year was exciting for us because we cut our own tree down up in the mountains. Dane stood in line for 2 hours to obtain a permit to do so. It was worth it though because the permit was only $5. So we set out for a fun family activity. Sorry no pictures my hands are so full these days. After a short drive up the road we started looking for the perfect tree. It is hard to choose when there are 1000's to choose from. After driving around for awhile we decide to get out and walk around to choose the perfect tree. I zipped little Clayton up in my coat and bundled up the children and we headed out. Unfortunately it was so muddy! It wasn't cold enough for the mud to be frozen. And it had snowed/rained a day before. Our boots were getting so heavy, but there was no turning back. We had to find a tree! Luke started falling down and was unable to get up by himself because he was so bundled. He was totally covered in mud. Then I realized even if we did find a tree we would have to drag it through all this mud. So we headed back to the truck to go with the original plan. (Find one on the side of the road). So after nursing and changing and getting everyone clean enough to get back in the truck we started again. Finally Dane just pulled over and said stay here I'm not coming back until I have a tree. We were going on 2 hours of driving around. Getting ridiculous. So sure enough I hear the chain saw going, and going, and going. I was wondering what was taking soo long. Dane decided to cut down a 40 foot tree and use the top as our tree. It just looked too perfect way up there. Once he cut it he realized it wasn't so perfect it was very bare and strange! But it was too late. We were committed. The kids were as excited as could be and that is what matters right? The tree ended up being all muddy anyway so Dane style took the tree to the car wash before bringing it home. lol. We brought the tree in and put it up and just felt a little disturbed by the lack of branches. I have to say I was quite impressed when Dane pulled the drill, and pocket knife out and started grafting branches into our humble tree. It worked beautifully and now our little tree is a bit strange but we all love it because of the experience we had together obtaining our tree top. Our lives would be so dull without Dane's crazy ideas and ingenious skills. He makes me smile!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Such a GREAT story. Please take a picture.
It was 40 FEET!!! Wow!
You are very patient. Lucky Dane :-)
Thanks for making me laugh! That was quite the image to think about! I guess there is no stopping Dane when he is determined! I guess you won't forget this Christmas tree any time soon. :)
Oh my heck, I can just imagine it. Awesome! Go Dane. Way to be a man.
I love that you went to all that trouble. I remember going out and cutting our tree down when I was little - those are great memories your kids will love! You guys are amazing to stick with it that long!
What a story!! Dane always makes me laugh. The tree at the car wash was my favorite part. You need to post some pictures of the final product.
That is really funny. We were going to cut a tree down, but the only permits they had were for Junipers. Sorry, but I didn't want an ugly bush in my living room for a month!
I really would have loved a pic of the muddy kids and tree, but you MUST post a pic of the grafted tree. It will live in infamy.
Tiffany
What a great story! I too am looking forward to a picture. And I would've loved to have seen you at the car wash with a Christmas tree. Too funny!
love the story. I wish you lived closer so we could get to know Dane better. He sounds like a crack up. Funniest thing about the carwash. Remember when you bought the stroller from me and then sold it. You told me Dane took it to the car wash to make it look better before you sold it. I am starting to see a trend here.
That is such a great story! I LOVE IT!!! Go DANE!! I love the car wash part! Your kids are so lucky. I want to come next year!! You're great parents.
Post a Comment