Monday, August 31, 2009

Lukey boy!

Luke helping Dane build a play fort.


Luke, my baby whose almost three in about a month. To me three is a big birthday because they are coming out of toddlerhood, and into childhood. He's not babies anymore. And for a mother that can be sad and exciting all at the same time. Luke is a total Daddy's boy. I now understand the definition of that term. He does put up with me during the day, but constantly asks "when is Daddy coming." Luke is in heaven on the weekends working outside with Dane, and for those of you that know Dane, know that that is not just a few hours but all day until dark. Today I walked out to the front to find Luke because I hadn't seen him for awhile. He was laying under the van (scary) holding a stick pretending to change the tire. Anything with cars and their wheels is totally amazing to him. When we go on our daily walks we spend a lot of time talking about all the different wheels that he sees and often have to get out of the stroller to examine. That is a conversation we have been having since he was able to say wheel at about 12 months old. When he gets tired in the afternoon he will beg me to be a race car which I finally figured out that , that means that I'm to lay on the floor on my stomach while he lays or sits on me. He likes it best if my feet are touching, then he will gather some toys up to put in between my legs. (which isn't much room if my feet are touching, actually no room at all.) My boys at this age seem to be very particular about how they want things. He will also bring me a toy and say "play me". Then when we play the first sentence out of his mouth is "Hi. wanna go shopping?" "okay." "lets go get some gum." He'll say. Luke loves his little brother Clayton, and has a manic relationship with him already. One minute he's kissing and smothering him with love, the next they are fighting over a toy. It terrifies me that Clayton is old enough to fight with Luke, but the moment has arrived. I can only hope and pray that they will be great friends in childhood and life. Luke is the first to arrive at the scene if one of the siblings is hurt or sad. He is quick to give hugs and offer words comfort. My happiness right now in my life comes from being around my children and observing all the small things they do that are so precious.

3 comments:

Monty and Kristin said...

Luke seems like a great boy! A true daddy's boy, and 100% boy for sure, but a great boy. You're such a good mom. I don't know if I'd lay down on the floor and let him roll cars over me...wait, does he care if you are asleep? If he doesn't care if you're alseep...I'd totally do it!:) Cute post!

Emily said...

Love that he is sitting in a hole in that pic!! He is so great. I'm glad we had a chance to spend some quality time and get to know his cute personaluty better a couple weeks ago.

Sarah and David said...

If your Luke is turning 3, then that must mean that my Weston is turning 3 soon! ha ha, stop the clock! Are you up to five kids now??? I didn't ever hear about another one coming, I'm so glad I have your blog address now! Great to catch up!